Tenant Screening Criteria
Application Process and Tenant Acceptance Criteria
Welcome to Pickett Property Management. Before you begin our application process, we would like to offer some general information that will help facilitate your search for a home with us.
Pickett Property Management and its employees adhere to the Fair Housing Standards as promulgated by Federal, State, and Local agencies. The HUD Fair Housing Act of 1968 provides that persons seeking housing shall be afforded equal treatment and opportunity without regard to race, religion, nationality, color, handicap, sex, sexual orientation or familial status. Each adult applicant, 18 or over, must complete and pay for a separate application.
HUD defines each non-related tenant other than domestic partners as a separate single family unit. Thus in roommate situations where more than one "single family unit" would occupy the home, owners may require an additional security deposit. Please check with the property manager for specific details.
PROVIDE THESE DOCUMENTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION:
- A copy of your most recent LES or pay stub
- A copy of your State issued photo I.D.
- If Self-Employed, a copy of your most recent years Federal Tax Return
- DO NOT PHOTOCOPY YOUR FEDERAL (MILITARY) ISSUED ID
When you turn in an application on a home, Pickett Property Management will stop showing the home; no one can rent it out from under you. ***The Application MUST be Complete***
- Must be verifiable. No gaps in income for the past 12 months
- Rent should not exceed 30% of your monthly gross income
- Overall indebtedness should not exceed 50% of your monthly gross income (example: Rent + Credit Card Payments, Car Payments, Child Support, etc.)
- CREDIT HISTORY
- No outstanding (unpaid) collections or judgments
- No more than 2 collections or judgments in the last 3 years
- No open bankruptcies in the last 3 years
- No collections or past due accounts for student loans
- Collections and past due accounts for medical bills may or may not result in denial
- RENTAL HISTORY
- Minimum 2 years of verifiable rental history (Military Family Housing and home ownership qualify, however barracks and renting from family members does not qualify)
- The following may be reason for denial:
- More than 2 late payments in the previous 12 months
- Evictions, any "Notice to Pay or Vacate", nuisance or disturbance notices
- Unpaid debts or collection actions for money owed to a previous landlord
- Property damage or failure to properly maintain property
- Unauthorized pets or occupants
- CRIMINAL HISTORY
- Criminal record verification is made on all persons over the age of 18 who will occupy the property.
- A criminal conviction, within the last seven years, of crimes of violence, crimes against a person(s) or property, crimes involving the possession, manufacturing, use, sale or distribution of illegal drugs or crimes involving breach of trust may result in denial.
- Landlord will review criminal records on a case-by-case basis considering the nature and severity of the criminal conviction and the amount of the time that has passed since the criminal activity.
- Any false or misleading statements on the application may result in immediate denial or termination of tenancy
ONCE YOUR APPLICATION IS APPROVED
You will have until the end of the next business day to sign the Holding Fee Agreement and pay the Non-refundable Holding Fee equal to the Security Deposit. Once the Holding Fee Agreement is completed and the Holding fee is paid in full, Pickett Property Managment will stop advertising the home. Once the lease is executed, the holding fee converts into the security deposit and is fully refundable upon proper completion of the lease contract and persuant to the terms of the lease contract itself. Should you fail to execute the lease and occupy the unit as scheduled, the entire fee will be forfeit. In the event that the unit cannot be provided to you on the agreed date, the non-refundable holding fee will be returned to you.
If the holding fee is not paid within the applicable time then the home will remain on the rental market and new applications may be accepted.
A $100.00 move in administrative fee will be due upon lease signing.
Most of our properties are owned by different individuals. Pickett Property Management represents the home owner and their terms and conditions for the home. While every home owner is different there are some policies that apply to each home.
- RENTERS'S INSURANCE IS REQUIRED
- Insurance is required. Proof of $300,000 liability insurance is to be provided when you sign your holding agreement.
- Insurance must be kept current while you reside in your rental. Neither Pickett Property Management nor the owner of the home is responsible for damage or loss of your personal property.
- Insurance must include liability coverage of $300,000.00. Each tenant listed on the lease is required to be on the policy or have their own policy.
- All of our homes are non-smoking, this includes garages and enclosed outbuildings such as storage and tool sheds.
- PET RESTRICTIONS
- All animal's (pet's, service and emotional support) must be screened separately by Petscreening.com
- No puppies or kittens, all pets must be at least 1 year of age
- No breeding of pets
- All pets must be spayed/neutered
- Due to our liabilities, we will NOT rent to certain breeds including Chows, Doberman Pinschers, Staffordshire Terriers (Pit Bulls) and Rottweilers
- Rabbits must be kept outside only
- No Ferrets or snakes
- Each cat or dog will require an increase of $500.00 to the Security Deposit each; small caged animals such as birds, hamsters, or gerbils require an increase of $100.00
- There is a maximum of 2 pets
- A picture of all pets living on the premises is required before application approval
- Owners may set additional restrictions
- DAYCARE CENTERS
- Any operation, voluntary or for profit that could be classified as a daycare facility will not be allowed in any rental due to the liability for the Home Owner - this does not preclude tenants from baby-sitting on occasion
Refund and Cancellation Policy
Full payment is required at the time you submit your application. All screening fees collected are non-refundable. Application(s) for which a screening fee has been collected cannot be cancelled. Applicant understands that by submitting an application and providing payment information that there are no refunds or cancellation. Before submitting payment, the applicant should confirm with the landlord (property owner, manager or agent) that the unit is still available and have reviewed the prospective landlord’s rental criteria.
You have the right to dispute the accuracy of the information in the tenant screening report. You have the right to a free copy of your tenant screening report. To dispute the accuracy of your tenant screening report or to request a free copy of your tenant screening report please submit your request in writing with a copy of your photo ID to:
LandlordSolutions 2201 North 30th Street Tacoma, WA 98403 Office: 253-396-0010 | Fax: 866-877-9688 firstname.lastname@example.org